Yesterday I gave a young maiden at the beginning of her witchcraft journey the first book I ever bought about the craft: Scott Cunningham’s Earth, Wind, Fire, Water. She put her hands on the cover and said, “I love that you loved this book.” I looked at the worn cover and slightly warped pages.
When did I buy that book?
I thought back to high school when a deck of Tarot cards a friend had enchanted me at lunch. I was about 14 or 15 and in those days, the only way to find out about the Craft was by word of mouth or wandering into a curious witchcraft store on accident. My friend with the cards recommended Earth, Wind, Fire, Water to me. I don’t remember exactly when I bought it or how I smuggled it into the house, but it was one of my earliest acts of revolt against the patriarchy. I was seeking the goddess that was missing in the Catholic faith I was raised in and I found her in witchcraft.
It dawned on me that all happened give or take 20 years ago.
I realized that I’m mentoring and helping young witch’s explore what it means to be a witch. It made me think about my own journey, so in honor of following the solitary path for so long, here are 25 things I’ve learned in 20+ years of being a witch.
1. Your spiritual experience is unique to you.
2. No one holds the answers but the master within.
3. Nature is my Mother and she is awakening.
4. My Father is the Sky and he is defending.
5. Just because you don’t identify as the “gender” of a particular element doesn’t mean you can’t become an adept master of it.
6. The stars rule everything.
7. You make your own reality.
8. When the student is ready, the master will appear.
9. Life changes.
10. One day the student will become the teacher.
11. You have the right to say no to anyone that makes you uncomfortable.
12. Question everything.
13. Meditation is the best tool to communicate with your higher self.
14. We are Divine.
15. Nature is Divine.
16. There are some things in this world and beyond that we are not meant to understand.
17. Trust your intuition. It will rarely mislead you.
18. Witchcraft is a global phenomena.
19. Witches are all genders.
20. “Know thyself and thou shalt know the universe and the gods.” — Thales
21. You reap what you sow.
22. Animals know a lot more about this planet than we do.
23. Pause and note the wonderful way Earth changes her garments with the seasons every Sabbat.
24. Ritual is not about the action, it is about the intent.
25. As above, so below.
So mote it be.